Leslie Teets Jr.

DATES OF SERVICE: Jan 1952  to  Oct 1955  

After high school Leslie Teets Jr. served in the National Guard of West Virginia, and he received an honorable discharge in September 1950. His re-enlistment in the West Virginia National Guard resulted in a second honorable discharge January 1952. Following this service, he joined the United  States Air Force at the height of the Korean War, also January 1952. He described his duties as varied, generally as clerical and administrative.  During the course of three years, nine months he was stationed at Sampson AFB, Geneva, New York; James Connally AFB, Waco, Texas; Harlingen AFB, Harlingen, Texas; Johnston Island AFB: Pacific Theater; and West  Palm Beach AFB, Florida, where he was honorably discharged  with the rank of Staff Sergeant in October 1955.
Les received a plaque in Seguin at American Legion; this plaque has his dates of service in Korean War. He never saw direct war duty, and was a staff sergeant for US Air Force in Waco, Harlingen and Johnston Island in the South Pacific. His duty was mostly clerical duty in the States. On Johnston island, that was a mile long and 1/4 mile wide, he was a billeting officer. Johnston was a fuel stop for military planes;  often servicemen's families were with them; Les was responsible for providing them a place to stay, usually overnight. He did a lot of snorkel diving for fish and shells and photography to keep himself occupied when off duty.  In Waco, there was a terrible tornado; he had been life guarding at the pool; had to call everyone out due to weather. Later he helped clean up after the storm. I have pictures of his diving activities and color slides of his photography of the island. One time for R & R, he went to Hawaii for 2 weeks; I have wonderful slides of that trip. He had a great time touring the islands those 2 weeks. 
His wife Barbara Jean (Bobby) Melton met him on Christmas Eve 1955 at Curry Chevrolet in Buckhannon. He was sponsored by Mr. Curry for a 2-year course at General Motors Institute in Flint, Mich.  He was to go to school in Flint for 2 months, then go to the dealership and do hands on training for 2 months. These were to be alternated 2 months in Flint, 2 months at Curry's. During his training, he decided to become a salesman at Curry's.